With nearly two thirds (63%) of Brits admitting they’ve thrown away on average one TV every year over the past decade, Amazon has worked with home improvement expert, Victoria Kirk (@thisenglishhome), to showcase how easy it is for customers to convert standard TVs into smart ones.
The timely tips have been released as new research from Amazon reveals that nearly a third (32%) of Brits are looking to have a spring clean of their old technology this year. With a few simple steps, there’s no need to get rid of old plasmas, LCDs, or old-school boxes, with a simple, ultra-affordable upgrade that can refresh your old tech with Fire TV*.
Customers can use a Fire TV device to modernise their TV experience by spending as little as £34.99 with the Fire TV Stick Lite. Fire TV devices use built-in processors to power the streaming experience, offloading streaming from your TV and often making TVs—especially older ones—run faster and more smoothly. Even those who own a television, that doesn’t include a HDMI port, can get the Fire TV experience with the simple addition of an adapter such as a DVI-to-HDMI cable, RF Converter or a HDMI scaler.
With Fire TV customers have access to thousands of films and TV shows from favourite apps including Prime Video, Disney+, Netflix and BBC iPlayer; fitness apps such as Fiit, Les Mills and Peloton as well as Amazon Kids+ content**. The entire Fire TV family of devices come with an Alexa Voice Remote so customers can use the power of Alexa to easily find, launch, and control content. Fire TV users can also control their compatible smart home using Fire TV by simply asking Alexa to dim the lights, display live camera feeds, stream music and much more.
Amazon has worked with Victoria to create hints and tips on how to upgrade your living room setup and give you access to a world of content, without having to throw anything away.
Victoria’s top hacks for refreshing your old-school living room setup using Fire TV
- Upgrade your old TV to access new and old classics with Fire TV: No smart TV? No problem. With the help of Fire TV – you can modernise your setup for as little as £34.99 with Fire TV Stick Lite. Even if your TV doesn’t have a HDMI port, you can purchase adapters like DVI-to-HDMI cables, RF converters or HDMI scalers that will help you get access to all the benefits of a smart TV.
- Transform your living room into a fitness hub: These days, the living room is so much more than a place for kicking back and watching TV and movies. Fire TV is an affordable and convenient way to upgrade your living room setup into a workout zone, with apps like Fiit, Peloton and Daily Workouts offering a range of home exercises.
- Simplify with Alexa Routines: By using Alexa Routines, you can control your Fire TV and applicable smart home devices with a simple Alexa utterance which will bundle actions together seamlessly. For example, customers can create an Alexa Routine so when someone says, “Alexa, it’s movie night,” Fire TV will turn on, smart lights will dim, the kettle will boil for a cup of tea, and the smart blinds will close.
- Talk to your TV with Alexa: With Fire TV and Alexa, customers have the luxury of controlling their entertainment setup simply using Alexa. With the Alexa Voice Remote and Fire TV, you can say “Alexa, show me an action movie”, “Alexa, fast forward two minutes”, “Alexa, play the next episode” or even “Alexa, show me the weather”.
- Control your smart home using Fire TV: As well as creating an ambience using Alexa routines, Fire TV is the central hub of your smart home. Using the Picture-in-Picture feature, you can use Fire TV to view live video feeds from compatible smart home cameras like Ring devices – giving you peace of mind when you’re relaxing in your living room. Simply say “Alexa, show my camera” to try it out.
*Subject to compatibility requirements
**Subscription fees may apply