Nearly 10 years ago, Amazon began focusing on innovations for the home with a little Pringles can-like device and the trusty voice assistant you now know and love, Alexa. Since then, we’ve transformed the way you use and think about technology in your everyday life.
From smart speakers that help you cook a new recipe to cameras that let you keep tabs on your front door from anywhere, Amazon devices are indispensable to modern life—and they just keep getting better.
This next generation of new devices and features are driven by our vision of ambient intelligence. They’ll change the way you interact with your home.
Here are all the new devices and features you should know about, including pre-order and availability details.
1. Alexa features: Making life more accessible, safe, and entertaining
With Alexa, it’s easy to stay connected with loved ones, optimise your daily routines and schedules, and enjoy entertainment, without lifting a finger.
- Eye Gaze Mode: Instead of using voice or touch, customers with speech or mobility disabilities can gaze at their tablet to perform pre-set Alexa actions like playing music and shows, control their home environment, and even call loved ones—entirely hands, and voice, free. It will be available at no additional cost later this year on Fire Max 11 Tablets in the U.S., UK, Germany, and Japan.
- Call Translation: Your Alexa audio and video calls can be translated in real time, allowing participants to break down language barriers and communicate more effectively. It will come to Echo Show and Alexa mobile app customers in the U.S., UK, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain later this year in over 10 languages including English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese.
- Top Connections: Add the Top Connections widget to your Echo Show 8, 10, and 15 devices to see your favourite contacts or most frequently used devices within the household. You can then quickly initiate a call or drop-in with a single tap.
See the full list of updates coming to Alexa.
2. Echo Show 8: A sleek upgrade for video calls and ambient experiences
With its newly centred camera and background noise minimisation, the Echo Show 8 was made for even better video calls. It also features custom-built special audio processing technology, creating a wider and more immersive sound experience, plus, room adaption tech that senses the acoustics of the room and fine-tunes playback for optimal sound. Meanwhile, the built-in smart home hub makes it easy to control all your smart home devices from one place.
An exciting new update to this Echo Show is adaptive content. Thanks to computer vision, your home screen will change based on your proximity to Echo Show 8. When you’re further away, the screen will show essentials like a simplified news headline or a large clock—information you can read from across the room. But as you approach the device, the screen will transition to more detailed and touch-friendly UI, along with personalised content.
Pre-order the Echo Show 8 for £149.99. Devices will ship starting October 2023.
3. Echo Hub: Helping you control your smart home
Echo Hub is a wall-mountable smart home control panel powered by Alexa, with an eight-inch touch screen and customisable dashboard for all your smart home devices. You can arm your security system, start a Routine, turn on the fan, or change the volume on your Echo, all with a simple tap. You can also view multiple live camera feeds at the same time.
Echo Hub supports over 140,000 smart devices and all major connectivity standards, including Matter and Thread. You can also get power-over-ethernet from devices like eero PoE Gateway by using a compatible USB-C converter.
By connecting locally to select smart home devices, Echo Hub helps make popular smart home commands even faster. For example, if you tap to turn on a light from your Echo Hub, Alexa will turn it on in as little as 300 milliseconds!
Echo Hub will be available later this year for £169.99.
4. Fire TV Stick 4K (2nd Gen): Our most powerful Fire TV Stick for under £60
The next generation of Fire TV Stick 4K is nearly 30% more powerful than the previous generation and now includes support for Wi-Fi 6. That means fast app starts and smooth, fluid, and vibrant 4K Ultra HD streaming.
Pre-order the Fire TV Stick 4K today for £59.99.
5. Fire TV Stick 4K Max (2nd Gen): Now with the Fire TV Ambient Experience and the first-ever streaming stick to support Wi-Fi 6E
For even faster speeds, check out the Fire TV Stick 4K Max (2nd Gen). With support for Wi-Fi 6E—and nearly three times the frequency bandwidth—it delivers lower latency and faster speeds while experiencing less interference from other Wi-Fi enabled devices in your home. The new 4K Max offers stunning visuals thanks to support for Dolby Vision, HDR, and HDR10+, and immersive Dolby Atmos audio.
The new 4K Max also lets you do more with your smart TV. Previously only available on the Fire TV Omni QLED Series, the 4K Max comes with the Fire TV Ambient Experience, which transforms the TV into a beautiful, always-smart display by replacing blank screens with helpful information like your family calendar, local weather forecast, and reminders on your screen when you’re not streaming. You can also turn your TV into a décor piece by browsing the Ambient Experience’s collection of over 2,000 free gallery-quality pieces of artwork. Display art from artists around the world and from famous institutions like the Musée d’Orsay.
Pre-order the Fire TV Stick 4K Max today for £69.99.
6. Ring Stick Up Cam Pro: An indoor/outdoor camera that offers an aerial view of your property
This new Ring camera has a new and improved camera and audio features. With 3D Motion Detection, Bird’s Eye Zones, and Bird’s Eye View, you’ll be able to see more of your property and set up more precise alerts. For example, you can get information about the path your package takes from the delivery truck to your front door—and you can also tailor your alerts so you’ll get notified when there’s activity on your front porch, but not on the path outside your home. .
Ring Stick Up Cam Pro features two-array microphones with echo cancellation, as well as Colour Pre-Roll, which gives you a history of detected motion, including the seconds before you receive an alert.
Pre-order the Ring Stick Up Cam Pro today starting at £159.99. Devices will ship starting 18 October.
Kids and Family
7. Fire HD 10 tablets: Lighter and faster Fire tablets for the whole family
The next generation Fire HD 10 —bringing more speed, a lighter design, an upgraded front camera, and a better battery life —all at incredible value. Fire HD 10 launches alongside our best kids tablets yet, the Fire HD 10 Kids is made for 3 to 7-year-olds, while the Fire HD Kids Pro is designed for 6 to 12-year-olds. These 10.1-inch tablets are lighter and 25% faster than our previous generation, with 1080 full HD displays, 3GB of RAM, and up to 13 hours of battery life. In addition to the improved performance and longer battery life, the all-new Fire HD 10 Kids tablets also come with a case built for kids, a two-year worry-free guarantee, and a one-year subscription to Amazon Kids+.
The all-new Fire HD 10 is available for pre-order today, starting at £149.99 in Black, Lilac, and Ocean. Pre-order the Fire HD 10 Kids and the Fire HD 10 Kids Pro today for £199.99. Devices will ship in October 2023.